Gorgeous THE NEVERENDING STORY Concept Art by Ul de Rico


Check out The NeverEnding Story concept art by Ul de Rico!

Every Friday I try to share designs from a classic work of science fiction film or television. This week's "Flashback Friday" post is on The NeverEnding Story (1984).

One of the films that defined my childhood was The NeverEnding Story (German: Die unendliche Geschichte), based on the book of the same name by Michael Ende. I was an avid reader and the story about a boy that entered a world of books touched my heart. Roger Ebert said, the film "contains some of the more inventive special-effects work of a time when battles in outer space, etc., have grown routine." The world in the movie is stunning and the main creature designer and concept illustrator is Count Ul de Rico.

Born Ulderico Gropplero di Troppenburg, he's an Italian-born artist and author of illustrated children's books, like The Rainbow Goblins (1978), who's worked on Hollywood movies like Flash Gordon (1980).






























See more of Ul De Rico's awesome portfolio at UlDeRicoArt.it


Click on the links if you want to see more of Ul De Rico's work or The NeverEnding Story on my blog.

What do you think of the concept art? If you've seen The NeverEnding Story what did you think?

Enter a fantastic world where the strongest power is the power of the imagination. When he comes across a book that can project the reader into its story, a young boy becomes part of a wondrous adventure in a land of flying dragons, evil wolves, gnomes, and a warrior-child who must fight to save it from destruction.
Directed by Wolfgang Petersen
Starring Noah Hathaway, Barret Oliver, Tami Stronach, Moses Gunn, Thomas Hill, Alan Oppenheimer
Release Date 6 April 1984 (West Germany)
Copyright 1984 Neue Constantin Film, Warner Bros. Pictures. All rights reserved.


Comments

  1. I love the concept art. I loved the movie when I was a kid too, but I showed it to my son when he was small, which was the first time in 15 years or so I'd seen it, and was stunned by how much I did not like it. But, nonetheless, the art is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh you have made the 80s kid in me very very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I haven't seen it in years but I wouldn't be surprised. Still it's a stunning film as you say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peter Jackson, or at least his artists, must have been influenced by this movie when creating the Tolkien films. I've never seen Neverending Story but I see echoes of it in the Middle Earth forestscapes and particularly the goblins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what awesome artwork. Love that movie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment