Beautiful Abyss Concept Art by Jean Henri Gaston "Moebius" Giraud

Back in 1989, the late, great French illustrator and concept artist Jean Henri Gaston "Moebius" Giraud designed some amazing alien creatures.

In the film, the underwater aliens are supposed to be able to manipulate water and he created creatures that look like a cross between angels and jellyfish.








Here's what it looked like on-screen.



Here's a behind-the-scenes clip which shows some views of the alien.

Via MONSTER BRAINS


See more of Jean Henri Gaston "Moebius" Giraud's portfolio at http://www.moebius.fr

What do you think of the illustrations? Would you swim with these gentle creatures?

Comments

  1. I would swim with them.  I saw the movie--and really liked it.  The aliens were so graceful and beautiful. When you SCUBA dive, it's sort of like flying, but nothing like they made the aliens appear.  Really enjoyed this post.

    I think I found this blog during the A to Z challenge, Maurice, and have thought of it since. But I couldn't recall which one it was.  Amazing posts you have here.

    I will be back--really. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just shared the link to the Abyss post on my facebook wall. Hope it drives a little traffic. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are beautiful illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only got to snorkel once in Mexico, but I look forward to Hawaii some day. The aliens were amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The suspense the aliens added to the film was worth every penny. 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spacerguy, Cameron did a great job building tension.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment