Exclusive: Aaron Sims Talks About The Film Archetype And The Aaron Sims Company

Update: I've gotten many kind words and emails about this project, but I'm not affiliated with the Aaron Sims Company in any way. Go to http://www.aaron-sims.com/ to learn more.

You may not know the name, but you've seen the work of Aaron Sims and his concept design work a lot.

He's worked on some of the biggest films like Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Transformers and The Thing. He started out as a make-up artists working with Academy Award winning make-up artists like Stan Winston and Rick Baker. It was in 2007 that he founded his own concept design studio called the Aaron Sims Company which bings together the work of some of the most visionary arstists in the industry.

Since, his new short film Archetype is coming out today I sat down with him to find out more about the creative mind of Aaron Sims.



Q: How did you get started working in make-up and special effects?
[Image: From Beyond (1985)]
I started working in make-up effects 1985, on a film called From Beyond. I was hired to design the creatures and I loved it so much that I made a career out of it.

Q: What was it about concept design that drew you from make-up and how did you make the transition?
[Image: A.I. (2001) concept art]
I was a designer way before I was a makeup artist. When I was a kid, all I did was draw monsters all day. After years of doing makeup effects I taught myself VFX . I started working at Stan Winston's as his Art Director, and headed his Digital Department. After five years I decided to take all the knowledge that I acquired of both makeup and VFX and use it for designing.

Q: Tell us about your new film Archetype.
[Image: Archetype (2012) concept art]
Archetype is a short film that I've been working on for a bit. I wanted to stretch my wings to show my directing ability. I had so much fun with the process of it that I'm of focusing on a feature version now. It'll be based roughly on the short film but the feature script is bringing a lot of fun surprises and depth with it.

Q: What was the most surprising thing you learned directing Archetype?
I would say the greatest thing I learned was developing a mindset for working with actors. Actors have there own language and I realized I needed to understand how to communicate my vision in a way they would understand. This was a process, but I definitely learned a lot.

Q: Did the experience change your view of concept design?
For me it only justified the importance of concept design, and committing to them early on. It became an exceptionally powerful way communicate all my ideas to everyone - the Set Designer, DP, Actors, etc...

Q: Can you tell us the most challenging project you've worked on?
To be honest, the most challenging project for me so far is Archetype. The most challenging thing was completing the short on almost no money. It was definitely a labor of love for me and the entire crew. That's what helped make it real.

Q: What's next for you and you company?
My company recently added previs as a tool [to] help directors and filmmakers tell their story early on. This especially helps projects that are heavy in design, and effects.

Thank you for your time.

You can learn more about Aaron Sims and his production company at http://www.aaron-sims.com/
Also, check out the short film at http://www.archetype-movie.com/.

Check out more of my interviews with amazing artists on my List of Interviews page.

Comments

  1. This is fantastic. Full speed forward. Should be a major film and please consider 3D. It would look so good on my 55" screen!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment